In the early years of Listerine’s coup as the leading mouthwash, the base was made of thyme tea, which is known to be astringent, antiseptic, anti-bacterial, freshening, and deep cleaning. Now, some of Listerine’s ingredients have made the top ten list of class 1 carcinogens (cancer-causing), and they’re joined by ingredients in other brands such as Scope.
By using this recipe, you can make easy, effective, and healthy mouth wash at home with simple, natural ingredients for pennies on the dollar compared with the leading store bought brands. And, rather than ending up with receding gums, more dental carries, irritated tonsils, and oral cancer you can get healthier teeth, gums, tonsils, and jaw bones.
This recipe is very similar to the original recipe Listerine originally used, but with healthier ingredients and no chemical shelf stabilizers, so it won’t last for years on your bathroom counter as will commercial brands. The vodka acts as both preservative and mouth cleaner, and will stay fresh and active for up to 6 months after you make it. You can extent the “counter-life” by storing it in the refrigerator.
Essential Mouth Wash Recipe
- Distilled water
- Absolut vodka
- Essential oils
- Bring water to a boil in the saucepan, covered with lid
- After water boils, remove pan from heat
- Immediately remove lid and add thyme leaves, covering with lid again
- Let steep (rest) for 15 minutes with lid on, there should be a light, oily film on the top (that's the thyme essential oil)
- Strain thyme liquid through the strainer into measuring cup
- Add vodka and essential oils
- Stir well to evenly distribute oils
- Pour into 16 oz. bottle, cap tightly label as desired